AethyrNet Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FFXI Jobs, Which ones?

Go down 
+7
Myrr
Iron Chef Wookie
Adamar
Blue Wizard
Zzgashi
Duo Cultellus
Bobjohnson
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bobjohnson

Bobjohnson

FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Empty
PostSubject: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:17 am

Just out of curiosity. What jobs does everyone play? What jobs do you have at level 75? What is your favorite job?

I'll start off. I currently have both DRG and COR at level 75, and COR is my favorite. Currently leveling RNG to 75, should be fun.

Edit by Duo:
ALSO:
If you're joining us for Re-Sub FFXI 2011, what job WILL you be playing?
Back to top Go down
Duo Cultellus
Admin
Duo Cultellus

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 am

First sub-time (As well as second, on same character), I leveled WAR. Wasn't too fun, got bored of the game after trying to level SAM for my SUB.
Next, I was WHM/BLM. Had a lot of fun with it, got farther than I had gotten ever before.
This time around, during the trial, I'm RDM-ing it, but that'll probably just send up a sub for yet another WHM.

Also, shit, I posted this a bit ago, but I didn't realize my girlfriend logged in on my computer. Hah.
Back to top Go down
http://aethyrnet.web-rpg.org
Zzgashi

Zzgashi

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

I've tried just about everything, almost every job to level 37. Took SAM to 72 before taking an extended leave, and coming back to find the game changed quite a bit. I was worried about what was expected of me so I tried a few other jobs. Got BRD and RNG fairly high, but I felt like sticking with NIN before I quit.
Back to top Go down
Blue Wizard

Blue Wizard

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Had Dragoon, Blue Mage, Samurai, and Monk at 75 in that order. Before I quit, I was also levelling Paladin and Red Mage. Paladin was to be my 5th 75.
Back to top Go down
https://www.cia.gov/
Adamar

Adamar

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 pm

RDM 75 and DRK 75.

I prefer RDM I think because it's more capable - but in practice DRK is more fun to play most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Blue Wizard

Blue Wizard

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Adamar wrote:
RDM 75 and DRK 75.

I prefer RDM I think because it's more capable - but in practice DRK is more fun to play most of the time.

I couldn't get into DRK for some reason. It was my lowest DD job by a large margin. But then again, I played alot of BLU, so maybe I'm just weird.
Back to top Go down
https://www.cia.gov/
Iron Chef Wookie

Iron Chef Wookie

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 am

MNK/NIN was fun
Back to top Go down
Duo Cultellus
Admin
Duo Cultellus

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:14 am

After replaying an XI trial, I gotta say, I've had more fun with Mage classes than the others. Though I hadn't gotten many of the expansion jobs when I had played, I mostly stuck to the vanilla ones.
Back to top Go down
Myrr

Myrr

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 am

SAM SMN THF SCH WAR RNG COR in that order
Back to top Go down
Zeick

Zeick

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:24 pm

i played every job cept rdm and i only played war as a sub though my fav is nin
instead of what job we pplayed we should probably be discussing what job we will be playing
Back to top Go down
Duo Cultellus
Admin
Duo Cultellus

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:55 am

Yeah, this is an old thread. So we could probably change it to what we WILL be playing for the re-sub.
As for me, I don't know. I might just go WHM again, but I might try and change things up. I think I'll decide once I know what everyone else will be. I'll just choose a class that'll help out the group.
Back to top Go down
Adamar

Adamar

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Job Balance is extremely iffy at the moment due to certain 'atma' (buffs inside abyssea) making critical hit weaponskills extremely strong and giving mages near-infinite MP. I'll give a rundown on how I perceive the current state of things.

Some explanations:

Empyrean Weaponskill: The current system for obtaining most good weapons is called "Trial of the Magians" (see here). For each weapon type there are a couple of weapons (one strong one with some cool stuff which is reasonably difficult to get, and an easier no frills version with just the WS) which grant the user a special weaponskill. Some are pretty mediocre, others are extremely potent.

Atma: A buff system that only operates in abyssea. For each "lunar abyssite" one possesses, you can activate one atma effect. Currently two are obtainable, it is expected a third one will be with the upcoming heroes of abyssea. Atma are obtained from NMs (the droprate of which is greatly increased by performing certain elemental weaponskills to proc a "Red !!", or a couple of decent ones (at least for mages) can be synthesised upon completion of mission lines (nations, expansions, non abyssea add-ons).

If you're wondering how they change so much, for mages look here, for melee DD the main culprit is this. In the case of Atma of the Razed Ruin, no comparable atma exists which boosts non critical-hit weaponskills in a similar way, meaning jobs without a good critical hit weaponskill are shafted.

MAGES:

White Mage: Currently the only mage to get a cure beyond Cure IV, which means they are not only the primary healer job they are becoming the only viable one for hard fights. 450hp doesn't cut it anymore when people have 2-3k. Acceptable melee DD with hexa strike.

Red Mage: RDM always has been and still is a powerhouse, although it's not a great main healer these days. Fast Cast allows it to pump out nukes faster than other magic users, more than making up for smaller individual nukes, and the strong sword empyrean weaponskill actually makes it a somewhat respectable melee DD (lol).

Black Mage: Still useful for burning down groups of mobs and procing various spells on NMs to potentially increase droprates. Loses to RDM at damage purely because it lacks fastcast, but that doesn't mean it can't pack a wallop.

Scholar: Not getting Cure V has kind of put the nail in the coffin for healing, and infinite MP means the MP efficiency it used to have as an advantage on BLM is negated. Not great.

Summoner: I'm not really sure about SMN, I know atma buffs affect their pets which give them a nice boost but unless you're worried about hate or something silly like that other jobs are probably better.

Support:

Bard: Still as useful as ever for pumping melee DD over the top, it can even do semi-respectable damage with a dagger.

Corsair: Since its old main benefit (increased XP gain) doesn't work in abyssea it falls back to the other buffs it offers which are still strong. OK damage potential on the side.

Dancer: In the absence of a WHM they are a great healer, interestingly they have become a top tier DD (literally able to compete alongside monk and ninja) with recent improvements.

DD:

High Tier: Level these, they're awesome.

Warrior: Absolutely monstrous in every way. Amazing job traits, good crit WS (bread and butter Raging Rush is excellent, the greataxe empyrean WS is even better), good area effect WS (Using "Fell Cleave" no other job can burn down groups of mobs better) and ability to use nearly every type of weapon in the game to proc Red !!. Mathematically far and away the strongest DD and great utility too. Top tier.

Monk: While not quite as potent as warrior, it has better survivability (higher HP and counters that actually negate the hits you take). Excellent empyrean weaponskill and Razed Ruin atma makes Ascetic's Fury (the previously mediocre nyzul weaponskill) stronger than old staple Asuran Fists. Top tier.

Ninja: Now able to cap gear haste while also sporting a bucketload of dual wield equipment, NIN has come from behind to the top of the pile. Katana empyrean weaponskill is excellent, too and RR atma beefs Blade: Jin up nicely. Working with warrior together they can cover every weapon needed for Red !!. Top tier.

Mid tier: Jobs with a good Critical hit WS that are not on top but still strong.

DRG (several new jumps are good, drakesbane is even better with atma, but the empyrean WS for polearm is mediocre), THF (Treasure hunter is being buffed this update which will make them all the more desirable as well), Beastmaster (good new jugpets each update), Blue Mage (not sure about these, MP allows them to spam spells with abandon and spells unique to them are useful for possibly increasing drops)

Low Tier: Jobs without strong critical hit weaponskills or something else holding them back.

PUP: While Stringing Pummel is an excellent weaponskill (and stronger with RR atma), lack of offensive job abilities and a pet who will actually reduce your overall damage if you spend time on manoeuvres to buff it up hurt it. It can't tank as well as monk either.

SAM: No useful critical hit weaponskills, including Great Katana empyrean, limits their damage potential inside abyssea. Outside abyssea with their empyrean weaponskill they're actually ok, but what matters outside abyssea these days? (Not much).

DRK: Best weaponskill dark knight has access to in abyssea? Rampage. Using axes, DRK's tertiary weapon (of which it hasn't been given access to any new ones with the level cap updates giving them terrible base damage) is the best way to be competitive. Given that DRK's job abilities aren't great to begin with and one of the best ones doesn't work with single handed weapons, both empyrean weaponskills it has access to are mediocre (relatively speaking) DRK is bottom of the barrel as far as DD go. On a positive note it's the only job beside warrior to gain access to Fell Cleave, although it lacks some of the tools that warrior has to make it shine.

RNG: Conventionally played ranger has never been great due to lack of an exponential buff like haste and low skills falling further away as the level cap increases makes combos like the Kraken club ranger less effective. DDing safely out of AoE's way isn't required much these days, either.

PLD: Technically speaking paladin is now less survivable than monk (less HP means more chance of being OHKO'd by a damaging move). Also, like every other job that isn't WHM it didn't get Cure V meaning its curing capacity is limited. While the sword empyrean weaponskill is handy, it doesn't have any offensive job traits to scrape it above mediocre damage output. Leave it at home.

I'm not saying "you must play this job" or "you mustn't play this job" (hell, my other job is DRK) but hopefully this is reasonably accurate and at least a little bit helpful. The level 90 update is hitting in a couple of days so I'll pass on any changes that occur. Questions, comments, criticisms, etc welcome. (Holy wall of text, batman!)
Back to top Go down
Zeick

Zeick

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:38 pm

BLM is getting its own version of fastcast for elemental spells
Black Mage Lv.50 Elemental Celerity Quickens elemental magic spellcasting.
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/5991/detail.html
Back to top Go down
Zeick

Zeick

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:54 am

well ill be playing rdm at first unless there r no whm then ill play that
Back to top Go down
Duo Cultellus
Admin
Duo Cultellus

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 am

I'll be WHM-ing, no worries.
I'll probably sub RDM or SCH at some point.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Bland

Mr.Bland

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Never played before, so that list is really useful. I think I want to be a corsair.
Back to top Go down
Zeick

Zeick

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

u have to get to lvl 30 to get corsair we could probably do that as group though since youlll need sneack
Back to top Go down
Duo Cultellus
Admin
Duo Cultellus

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Yeah, I'd love to get myself Corsair as well. That'd be great.
Back to top Go down
Metal Smith

Metal Smith

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Blm. Magic Burst. mwahahah
Back to top Go down
Mr.Bland

Mr.Bland

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Zeick wrote:
u have to get to lvl 30 to get corsair we could probably do that as group though since youlll need sneack
Eh, I don't mind grinding for it. Which jobs are the starting ones?
Back to top Go down
Metal Smith

Metal Smith

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage.
Warrior, Monk, Thief.

In other words, the original 6 classes Razz
Back to top Go down
Metal Smith

Metal Smith

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Was reading through the world transfer faq. Saw this gem:

Quote :
Q: Can I transfer a character that I forgot to transfer?

A: If it is still within a week of your World Transfer, you may still transfer an additional character. After verifying there are no forgotten items in your delivery box or at the auction house, please us by clicking here.
Only in cases where it is judged necessary, an additional world transfer requests will be processed
Back to top Go down
Duo Cultellus
Admin
Duo Cultellus

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Metal Smith wrote:
Was reading through the world transfer faq. Saw this gem:

Quote :
Q: Can I transfer a character that I forgot to transfer?

A: If it is still within a week of your World Transfer, you may still transfer an additional character. After verifying there are no forgotten items in your delivery box or at the auction house, please us by clicking here.
Only in cases where it is judged necessary, an additional world transfer requests will be processed

PLEASE US.
Ohoho. Grand.
Back to top Go down
Imafag

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:22 am

I hope we'll get more healers as im gonna be tanking as WAR or MNK Smile
Back to top Go down
Zeick

Zeick

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 am

I thought the new people might want to look at this http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Jobs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FFXI Jobs, Which ones?   FFXI Jobs, Which ones? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FFXI Jobs, Which ones?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next